How to submit a request for Account Loss


The following details are mandatory for our customer support officers to assist you.

1. Proof that your FB account is deactivated and won't be activated.

As proof that you contacted Facebook, we'll need a copy of the email from Facebook informing you that your FB account is deactivated and will not be activated. Unless provided, our customer service will not be able to process your request.

2. Account information

2.1 Your old account information:

Player ID:

In-game Name:


2.2 Create a new account and ensure you bind it on Facebook. Your old account data will be transferred to the new account.

In-game Name:

The region must be the same server as the old account.


1. Open Facebook and visit Free Fire page

Visit Free Fire official Facebook page and follow the steps

Link :

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

2. Type in your email address

3. Choose "Account Loss (cannot login FB or VK account)

4. Provide the account details

5. Fill in your playerID, IGN & Server

6. Attach the email from Facebook informing you that your request to enable your account is denied


The email address you use to send the request must match the Facebook email address in our record (proof that you own the Facebook account)

The old account must have no recent login record (proof that no one can access it).

We only process account transfer for accounts with the Facebook account disabled. For stolen accounts, simply reset your FB password.

Make sure you provide all the details mentioned above to avoid delays and processing time may take up to 7 business days once all the required information is provided.

Please note that we are unable to guarantee if we can recover your account and reserve the right to deny any request. Account recovery is not possible for Guest Accounts.

The same process applies to VK and Google linked accounts.

If you hopeful then comment here